Friday, February 09, 2007

Double Trouble! 3.


"You think she was hacking in to Scotland Yard? Can you do that?"
"If you know how you can get in and out without leaving a trace. Unfortunately I don't think the Black Kitten knows how to do that. Last time I was in there there was another hacker in leaving great big footprints. I managed to erase them, but what she was after was the sort of stuff we use. She's good with computers, but not as good as I am."
"From what I saw last night I think she's about your age. It's difficult to tell when a girl's in a suit like hers, but I think she's under eighteen."
"I'll try to contact her online. She's probably got a Myspace page or a blog or something."
"She wouldn't...?"
"She might!" Scruff ran out of the room. I got out of bed.
"Sis!"
I ran out to the living-room where Scruff sat in front of her computer.
"Look!"
There it was. A blog called 'The Black Kitten Strikes!'
"She blogs?" I looked at her picture. It was the girl who kicked me in the jaw, the same all-concealing mask with its green eyepieces and black 'nose'.

She seemed to be posting about what she'd done and what she wanted to do.
"How many hits has her blog had?" I asked.
"A thousand," Scruff told me. "Sis, if she's hacking into Scotland Yard they'll want to see her."
"Great, so the cops are after her too. Well, at least it means Ken Livingstone's anger's divided."
"Actually no, she doesn't appear to use a car, and he really wants to get you for the congestion charge."
"Wonderful." I looked at the Black Kitten's blog. Unlike me she'd chosen a very black theme for her blog, and the writing on it was threatening. The girl had anger-management issues, I thought, serious ones.
"She mentions you. Listen to this, 'Last night the Girl in Grey tried to stop me, so I had to knock her down. She ought to watch out for me. I don't let anyone get in my way.' Then she writes about the drug-dealer she killed. Apparently she does martial arts."
"And she still can't control her anger? Scruff, something happened to make her this way. I mean, I wouldn't be the Girl in Grey if Dad hadn't been murdered, and this girl's angrier than I ever was."
Scruff refreshed the page, and we both stared at the screen in horror.

'Dear world. The Black Kitten's going to be at the fancy-dress ball at the Lansdowne tonight, and I'm going to take down some serious criminals.'

That was all, but it was enough. She probably thought most of the people at the ball would be ordinary, decent people. I knew that it was a crooks' gathering. I had to invite myself, or we'd be in serious trouble.
"Scruff, can you hack into the Crime Syndicate's computer and convince them we're on the guest list?" I asked.
"Of course. Names?"
"Not our real ones. Roberta Kane and her sister Sally."
"Really those aliases?"
"Well, why not? I'll get the costumes..."
"NOT the one I had last time!"
"No," I agreed. I already had ideas. Part of me wanted to show up the Black Kitten. The better part of me was just thinking about making sure she didn't get herself killed.

No comments: