Friday, February 23, 2007

Double Trouble! 13.


I looked up as I heard the door of my car open. The Outsider slipped inside, red eyes glowing brightly.
"What did you find?"
"Pat Malone's not the Black Kitten, but she's a friend of hers. The Kitten and Pat are trying to smash their fathers' rackets."
"Whew! That's pretty personal!" I exclaimed. Mobster's daughters out to get their dads. THAT was serious family trouble and no mistake! My detective abilities were proven, I'd thought it was family related. A lot of things to do with mobsters are, after all.
"I'm afraid I scared Pat, and her scream brought some bodyguards in. Blackie and me fought them off..."
"BLACKIE!?" I cried, amazed.
"Yes. She's really nice. After I convinced her I'm not a thing, anyhow."
"She's a friend?"
"My friend. She sort of wants to do everything on her own. But we can't let her. She's not a professional like we are..."
"Thanks, Emily." I started the car. "Scruff, did you get that?"
"I did. Are you coming home now?"
"Not immediately, I've got some things to check up on. Like Belle Olivers."
"Fast asleep in her cosy little bed. I got into the security system at her parents' house."
That was strange. It meant we'd checked all three suspects and NONE of them were our girl.
"Widen the search parameters," I instructed. "She may be putting on that Cheltenham accent."
"Okay, Sis. Emily, is she nice?"
"Kind of intense, but yes, nice. She fights really well."
"We knew that. Her Dad's a mobster - which doesn't help, all the girls there were gangster's daughters. That suit doesn't help... but that has to be the idea. She covers her body completely, but that thing's so tight it doesn't conceal anything about her figure. Her Dad's probably quite prominent too. So..."
I could picture Scruff sitting at her computer typing. At first I found her habit of spending hours on the internet annoying. Now I found it wonderful. My sister's so talented I really wanted to make her my secretary.
"Searching now," she said. Then she laughed.
"Sis! This is SO good! It's wonderful!"
"Scruff!"
"It's great, oh, I'd never have guessed..."
"Scruff, give it up! WHAT did you find?"
"Laura Moriarty. She's the right height, public-school educated, dresses a lot like me, although she has brown hair and green eyes. I'll show you." A picture came up on one of the screens in the dashboard.

"I see. She looks a nice girl."
"Apparent she is. Takes after mother. Intelligent too, and she's the sporty type..."
"Unlike you."
"Hey!"
"Sorry. So... Laura Moriarty. Oh no!"
"What's up?" Scruff asked me.
"She's probably counting on her Dad sparing her. But he won't. Moriarty's the sort of vicious so-and-so who'd just go right on with the torturing even if he knew who she was!"
We were going to have to protect her from her own Dad!

No comments: