Friday, November 03, 2006

The Outsider Test, 13. Freedom!

The Outsider and I were locked in a cell in the cellar of a shop in Whitechapel. But not for long.
The lock yielded easily to my lock pick, and the guard outside was taken completely by surprise. My kick knocked him out at once.
My cowl and gloves lay with the Outsider’s weapons on a small table. As she armed herself I put on the rest of my costume.
“The cell’s lined with a material that inhibits my powers,” the Outsider explained. “But since it inhibits Ghul’s powers too, it isn’t used anywhere else.”
We ran for the cellar stairs. The Outsider knocked the only guard there flying - great work for a girl who’s smaller than me.
The door at the top was locked, but that did not seem to stop the Outsider. She simply smahed it to matchwood.
The guard at the top of the stairs drew his sword, but the Outsider had hers ready too. Their swords clashed, and I watched the battle, unable to interfere.
The guard was good, but the Outsider was better. She fought like an expert, and although the blade looked as smoky and semi-incorporeal as she did, from the sound it made on the guard’s sword it was obviously genuine steel.
Suddenly she slipped under the guard’s sword and hit him in the stomach. He doubed up in pain, and she wiped her dagger on his coat.
“Outsider!” I objected. “You can’t go around killing people!”
“Why not? Now follow me!”
I followed the Outsider down the hall towards the shop. I heard a scream from the shop, and I recognised it. It was Scruff!
“Outsider! My sister’s in there!”
The Outsider burst through the door into the shop and faced Ramdit Ghul, her red eyes glowing with an intensity I had not seen before.
Scruff and Ms. Madison were pinned to the wall, and obviously very scared. Ms. Madison stared in surprise at the Outsider.
“Ghul! I’m here!”
The force that held Scruff and Ms. Madison was released, and both slid gratefully to the floor.
“Scruff!” I leaped across the shop to help her. She smiled.
“Sis! What happened?”
“I escaped. What about you two?’
“We were coming to rescue you.”
“Who’s that?” Ms. Madison asked, looking at the Outsider.
“That’s the Outsider. She’s... connected with Mr. Ghul.”
“Emily,” Ramdit Ghul smiled at the Outsider. “What do you want?”
“Freedom from you. You said you saved my life, but I’ve begun to doubt that. I think you had my parents killed. Why?”
“I needed you, Emily. You were the perfect subject for the process that made you what you are. My forefathers searched for centuries for the right girl, and there you were. But of course your missionary parents would not think of giving you to a pagan prince such as myself, so I had to resort to less... legal means. And you were a good subject. You took to the training well, I was able to change your form so that you no longer look like Emily Fairbairn. And now you are mine.”
“Not any more.” I saw the sword in her hand. Suddenly Ramdit Ghul drew a sword from under his cloak.
“And so one of us will die, Emily!”
“Yes,” she agreed, putting up her weapon.
They were about to fight to the death!

No comments: