Monday, November 06, 2006

The Outsider Test, 14. By the Sword


The Outsider and Ramdit Ghul crossed swords. But I knew from the beginning that this was going to be no ordinary sword fight. Suddenly Ghul crouched, and an invisible force threw the Outsider clean through the shop window. Mr. Ghul followed, leaping through the shattered shop-front, into the street.
The Outsider’s blade met his. Scruff, Miss Madison and I ran to the window to encourage the Outsider.
"Come on, Outsider!" Scruff cheered, "You can do it! Take his head off!"
"Scruff!" Ms. Madison exclaimed, "you bloodthirsty girl!"
"But that's what she does, she beheads bad guys."
"That's no excuse!"
In the street the strange sword-fight continued, the tall, dangerous Indian prince and the small, smoky being called the Outsider. Both were good, and neither was above using other tactics. Ghul tried to squash the Outsider with a car, but she tossed it aside.
"You can't win, Emily! I made you what you are, I trained you, I am better than you!"
"Arrogant so-and-so," Ms. Madison said, offended.
"I suppose it's absolute power," Scruff mused. "Go on, Outsider!"
Ghul lunged at the Outsider, but she turned his blade aside and lunged back, cutting his arm. The evil prince cried out in pain.
"You wretched English girl! I'll enjoy killing you!"
"You won't get the chance!"
The Outsider whirled aside like a flurry of black smoke, her red eyes blazing.
"That's it!" Scruff yelled. Ms. Madison shook her head.
"Don't blame me," I told her. "I'm her sister, not her mother. And she went to boarding school."
Scruff let out a piercing whistle as the Outsider slashed Ghul again.
"Yeah! Second blood to the Outsider!"
"Boarding school," Ms. Madison agreed.
Ghul fought like a tiger, but the Outsider fought like a FEMALE tiger, which is a whole lot fiercer. Ghul was driven back despite his ferocity.
"I'll give you my power!" he cried. The Outsider laughed out loud at that.
"Too late, Ghul! I'll give you what you gave my parents!"
The black, smoky sword slashed out, and then Ghul's head, still wearing a surprised expression, was lying on the pavement while his body slid to the ground.
"Paid in full," the Outsider said as she wiped her sword on the fallen body.
"Did you bring a car?" I asked Ms. Madison. "Because I don't fancy taking her home on the tube."
"I'll get it," she replied.

No comments: