Tuesday, November 07, 2006

The Outsider Test, – Conclusion.

The adventure over, the four of us, myself, Scruff, the Outsider and Ms. Madison, were in my flat, having turfed the cats off the various places where we wanted to sit (or, in some cases, lie). I was in my big leather armchair (which looks even bigger when I'm in it), Scuff was on the hearth-rug, Ms. Madison was in a smaller arm-chair, and the Outsider was lying on a small sofa, still very much black and smoky, with glowing red eyes.

"So, what are you going to do now?" I asked as I sipped my tea. The Outsider shook her head.
"I suppose I'm stuck like this. I could go on fighting crime..."
"Lynette," Scruff said, "doesn't your boss know about things like this?"
"Things like what Scruff?"
"Like strange Indian cults, for one thing. And occult stuff. I know there's a lot on the internet, but most of it's rubbish."
"Only most?" Ms. Madison joked. "Seriously, I'll ask him. In the mean time, I'm sure he'll be able to look after a small black, smoky girl with glowing red eyes. If you don't mind my asking, how old are you?"
"Thirteen."
"Young enough. And dietary requirements?"
"Food."
"I'd guessed that already, Outsider! What else are you going to need?"
"A bed. And a bath. In fact I'm going to take one now." she jumped up and ran off to the bathroom, from where I heard the sound of running water.

"She's sweet," Scruff said. "Which is kind of funny for a girl who chops heads off."
"Scruff!" Ms. Madison objected. "Well, do you want me to wait until the Outsider's had her bath?"
"If you're going to take her anywhere tonight. Otherwise I'll put her up in the spare room here," I answered. "Ms. Madison, I know we don't see eye-to-eye on everything, but I want to get Emily back the way she used to be. So PLEASE talk to the Green Man about her."
"Don't worry, I will," Ms. Madison ruffled my golden bob. "And I like you really."
"But she doesn't think you're the Green Man's girlfriend," Scruff added. Ms. Madison and I laughed. Scruff laughed too.
I hoped we would be able to find some way to restore Emily. She was right, being black and smoky with glowing red eyes does rather shut a girl out of society. And she ought to know.

But until she was restored, she would remain that mysterious avenger of evil, THE OUTSIDER.


Next time: The Girl in Grey battles against the mysterious League of the Blue Rose!

No comments: