Friday, November 17, 2006

Roses are Blue, 7.

As Scruff dived under a pew and wriggled along so that she would not be too visible, I ran down the north aisle of the church. Of course I worried about Scruff, even though after all the years she'd spent at boarding school she could be very resourceful. But she's my little sister, and I suppose it's just natural for me to worry about her.
What's worse, I'm about the only person who IS worried about her these days. We kind of lost touch with the rest of our family after Dad remarried. Dad was an only child, and his parents died when Scruff and I were quite small. Mum was American, and her family over there disapproved enormously of the Peroxide Peril. I don't blame them, but I wish I had more family who spoke to me.
As blue-robed figures fanned out through the church, I took a flying leap towards the roof. My grey-gloved hands caught a rafter, and I swung myself up, into the roof structure of the aisle.
I had been surprised at how dust-free the lower part of the church was. Now I knew where all the dust was, and I didn't like it. I tried not to breathe it in, since I knew that would result in a gigantic sneeze that would tell everyone where I was, and probably get me shot into the bargain. I don't like being shot, it tends to spoil a girl's day.
Looking down, I saw the members of the League of the Blue Rose moving down the church. To my relief and disgust, there were not looking under the pews. Relief because Scruff had hidden under one, disgust because I had made all this effort getting up into dust central away from them. I should have gone under a pew.
As the men moved beneath me, I held my breath. I didn't want to do anything to alert them to my presence.
I dropped back to the floor once they were past, my soft shoes making no noise at all. Moving from pew to pew like a shadow, I headed towards the east end.
There was the Prior. He watched the men leave the sanctuary and move into the halls beside the building. I watched him.
Suddenly someone grabbed me from behind. I turned - it was one of the 'brothers'.

"I have her!" he cried. I struggled, but then someone pointed a gun at me.
"Ah," the Prior said, satisfaction in his voice as he moved towards me, "we have you now."
And he was right. They had me!

No comments: