Thursday, November 23, 2006

Roses are Blue, 11.


I stood still, looking down at the little dot of red laser light that gleamed over my heart. The prior laughed wickedly.
"Nothing in the world can stop the triumph of the League of the Blue Rose!" he cried. "For centuries we have prepared for this moment, and now the hour of our triumph is come!"
"The device is fitted," one of the brothers reported, descending the stairs of the stock exchange building. "As soon as the exchange opens, it will begin to operate."
"We shall be rich beyond the dreams of avarice!" the Prior laughed. "Take her to the van!"
I was roughly removed from the Stock Exchange, and not for the first time. Although the first time I'd been six, and very naughty, and it had been my parents who removed me.
I was hustled across Paternoster Square and thrown into the back of a white van, which then drove off. Two of the brothers very considerately kept me covered with their guns in case I tried to escape.
I felt more for Scruff. She can't drive, and she wasn't even properly dressed, but she was in my car, parked by Stationers' Hall. Poor Scruff! I should have been more careful. And now, if the police saw the car, she'd be arrested. Ken Livingstone wants me on several charges relating to traffic offences, none of which I like the sound of.
The van slowed and stopped. I heard a door open and someone got out. By my calculations we were still in the City of London somewhere. But where? I didn't know which way we had driven off.
Seconds later the back door of the van was thrown open. The Prior stood there, cowl thrown back, his face livid.
"What the bloody hell did you do?" he demanded.
"I..."
"That cashpoint just told me there are 'insufficient cleared funds' in my account. There were twenty thousand pounds in that account yesterday, now I'm five thousand in the red!"
"But... I didn't do it!" I protested.
I didn't, but I could guess who had. Apparently Scruff had tracked down the Prior's real identity and emptied his bank account. Probably into hers, knowing Scruff.
I was pulled from the back of the van and onto the pavement. There I was held by one of the brothers as the Prior prepared to hurt me.
Well, they held my arms, but they forgot about my legs. Why I'm not sure, as they're quite attractive legs. Lucky for me they did.
The man who held me suddenly found himself holding my full weight, as I kicked the Prior in the teeth. I felt the grip on my arms relax as me feet met the ground again, and I tore myself free.
The brothers were taken entirely by surprise, and none of them were any good at fighting. I left them lying dazed on the pavement as the sound of a police car broke the quiet of a night in the City. Someone's CCTV camera had picked us up.
"So long!" I cried as I ran from the scene.

Good old Scruff! She came through!

No comments: