Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Roses are Blue, 4.


I stood in the darkened room, very conscious that someone was holding a gun to my back. That sort of thing tends to make a girl think very clearly if she isn't the panicking sort. And I'm not the panicking sort.
"Why are you here?" the man behind me demanded.
"Because the owner of this flat was murdered earlier this evening. Someone left a blue rose on his body, exactly like thwo other murders in other parts of Europe. I wanted to know why he was killed, and I thought I might find the answer here."
"Instead of which, you are going to die here, and your body will be found on Hampstead Heath."
"Someone might hear the shot."
"All the flats in this wing of the building are empty, my dear. And no-one will hear a silenced gun."
"So why did you kill him?"
"Because he was a traitor," the man in front of me answered. I saw now that he was wearing a tiny blue rose badge in his lapel. "Petersfield became scared and threated to sell us out. He failed. The League of the Blue Rose cannot be stopped!"
"Indeed, Clarence," the man who had a gun pressed to my spine added. "We CANNOT be stopped. The whole world, my dear, will fall under our influence, and there is not a thing you can do to stop us."
Right now, I reflected, that was probably true. After all, having the muzzle of a pistol pressed to your spine is rather limiting. One move, and he'd shoot me. If I wasn't killed outright I'd be badly wounded.
"So you're going to rule the world?"
"It is our destiny!"
Suddenly the door of the flat flew open. I heard a scream, piercing and wonderfully familiar.
I felt the gun move, and I moved too. I tore the pistol from the man's hand and socked him in the face with a powerful punch.
"Thanks," I said to Scruff, who was standing in the doorway. "How did you follow me?"
"In the boot of your car. I figured you might need me." She looked fine, incredibly untidy, barefoot, and holding a revolver.
I turned to Clarence.
"The League of the Blue Rose, huh? And you want to rule the world. You're not the first to try, and you won't be the last to fail. So cheer up. After all, I am kind of cute, and Scruff's really rather nice too. So you're being held up by two pretty girls."
"We'll tell you nothing!" Clarence said. He seemed a nice young man really, not terribly bright, though.
Just the sort who accidentally give something away.
"Clarence," the older man, who was nursing a split lip, warned, "say nothing."
"You're not giving the orders any more, I am." I took the papers from Clarence. We stepped out onto the balcony. In the darkness my grey suit rendered me all but invisible.
"You will not defeat us!" the older man warned.
"I already have, haven't I?"
"Never!"
The older man threw himself at me. Taken by surprise, my smaller form was knocked onto the tiles of the balcony.
"Run!" Clarence cried, struggling with Scruff to keep her gun off the older man. "Little Venice church!"
The older man bolted. Scruff struggled with Clarence, but he was larger and stronger than her, and at last he knocked her backwards.
Scruff stumbled. I cried out as I saw her hit the low wall of the balcony.
Too late. Clarence pushed her, and she tumbled backwards, into space, with a scream.

No comments: