Friday, November 24, 2006

Roses are Blue: 12

I threw open the car door and jumped in. Scruff looked up at me brightly.
"Hi," she said. "You escaped?"
"I escaped. Someone emptied the Prior's bank account, and he lost his temper. He forgot that the outside of banks are covered by CCTV cameras. What did you do?"
"I hacked into their device, and it led back into their computer system. I found the Prior's bank details and I emptied his account into mine..."
"And because you're the daughter of a millionaire, the bank won't be too worried."
"Well, I hope not. I don't spend a lot..."
"Because most girls spend most on clothes, and you get yours from charity shops?"
"Exactly. You buy all those things from iTunes..."
"And you use them? I know."
I started the car and drove off. Scruff shut the glove-compartment and sat back, smiling.
"What happens when they activate that thing they fixed in the Stock Exchange?" I asked.
"Oh, it'll shut down. But they won't, will they?"
"No," I smiled. "The Girl in Grey won."
Twenty minutes later we were at home. I was holding Samantha on my knee and Scruff, back in her own clothes, was on the sofa. We were watching the TV news.

"And the police say that they have foiled a high-tech plot against the London Stock Exchange," the reporter said. "Rumours that the mysterious Girl in Grey was involved have not been confirmed."
"Hey!" Scruff objected.
"Scruff, I don't care," I replied. "I'm just glad it's over."
"So, what next?" she asked.
"Well, you've just been sitting around here. Why don't we send you to school?"
"Sis!"
"Sir Richard Arcos, a friend of mine who lives in Norfolk, has a school near him that he thinks is very... well, it's probably criminal. He'd like me to investigate, so I've said I'll enroll you in the sixth-form as our girl on the inside."
"Oh boy," Scruff stretched and yawned. "I'm going to have to sleep on it!"
"We're going to see the trustees to-morrow for an interview," I said. "So behave!"

I wondered how it would turn out as I saw her go off to bed.

Next: The School for Scruff!

No comments: