Monday, November 20, 2006

Roses are Blue, 8.


The robed 'brothers' removed my belt, and I was manhandled into the tower stump. There I was forced to kneel in the middle of a circled of robed and hooded men.
"You are an interfering snooper!"
the Prior accused me. I smiled.
"I've been called worse. You're a bunch of murdering cut-throats. Why did you kill Petersfield?"
"He was going to betray us. For centuries the League of the Blue Rose has been working towards this goal. We will not be stopped now by some cowardly banker!"
Centuries. The League sounded pretty old. But why, then, had neither I nor the Green Man ever heard of it? My keen mind reasoned that something was going on. But what?
"Well, I'm not a cowardly banker. And I'd be careful how you say that, you could give people the wrong impression about you."
"Pah!" the Prior replied. "Soon we shall be the masters of the world's financial markets. We shall control the stock markets! And you, little girl, will be dead. Brother Peter, you will take her out to the canal and drown her. Tie her hands and feet and tie that piece of scrap metal to her feet."
There was a pause, during which I hoped Brother Peter would not be there. Then one of the robed figures, a small man, spoke,
"Okay," Brother Peter said softly, nodding.
"And then, brothers, we shall go to the stock exchange. All is prepared! We shall be victorious!"
I still knew very little of their plan.
"What are you going to do?" I asked, hoping that the prior was in a talkative mood.
"Since you will shortly be food for fishes, my dear Grey Girl, I see no reason not to tell you. Using the latest technology we shall take control of the computers of the London Stock Exchange in Paternoster Square. Every transaction will be in our hands. In seconds we shall make billions of pounds. We shall be the arbiters of Britain's financial destiny! And you will be drowned."
"That's hardly fair!" I protested.
"No, it isn't fair. Brother Peter, take her out and drown her. Your costume's very fitting, Girl in Grey - this time curiosity will very definitely kill the cat!"
"Come on!" Brother Peter growled as he pulled me to my feet and hustled me out of the tower stump. "You don't want to be late for supper with the fishes!"
My arms were tied behind my back, and I wondered how in the world I was going to get out of this one.
"I don't like fishes!" I cried.
"Yeah? Well, they'll like you, I bet."
Things did NOT look good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And I thought cats liked fish...

Still, robed baddies are never a good thing.

The Girl in Grey said...

Oh, I like them when I'm the one doing the eating, and they're in MY environment.