Thursday, November 09, 2006

Roses are Blue, 3.



[Still me, I'm afraid. Sis is arguing with the Indian embassy]
The Green Man looked approvingly at my computer screen, then back at me.
"Well, Scruff, you may not be as well-dressed as Ms. Madison, but you're just as handy."
"Thanks," I smiled back. "You're very nice. No wonder Sis likes you."
"Three murders, three blue roses. Grey!"
Sis hurried in. Of course she wasn't dressed in her grey costume, but in a blouse and skirt.
"What is it? Soot hasn't been fed yet, and if he isn't he'll be difficult."
"Scruff's found two other identical murders, both of investment bankers."
"Oh! Are you going to look into it?" she asked.
"No, I'm afraid I have to deal with a drug-running operation in Nassau. Can you take this job?"
"I'd love to," Sis said with a smile. I noticed Ms. Madison scowl slightly.
There was a loud meow from the kitchen, and Sis laughed.
"Come on, Green Man, I need a hand with Soot."
I was left with Ms. Madison.
"Lynette, you're not so keen on my sister, are you?" I asked.
"I'm just not sure her getting... romantically involved with the Green Man is a good idea, Scruff. Your sister's a bright, attractive, resourceful girl. I like her as a person. But... I think she might be setting herself up for disappointment."
"Don't try to reason with her."
"And what is it about your arm? I've never seen it without a bandage."
"It's an allergy."
"Just there?"
"Or something." I resorted to being evasive.
"Ms. Madison! These two young ladies need to do some crime fighting. Come on!"
I noticed some of Sis's lipstick on his mouth and smiled.
"'Bye," I said cheerily.
"Goodbye, Scruff."
"'Bye!" Sis called. Her lipstick was smeared and there was a rather dreamy look in her eyes.
When the Green Man and Ms. Madison were gone I allowed myself a laugh.
"Sis! You do look funny! But Lynette tells me he's not your boyfriend."
"Lynette's in denial. Like you with that arm of yours."
"Sis! I'm not going to tell everyone the real reason!"
"Then let's get to work. Where did Carl Petersfirld live?"
"104 Suckling Mansions."
"Great. I'll ru over there and break in. You hold the fort here and look after the cats."
She dashed off. I sat back on the sofa and picked up Shah, one of Sis's cats.
"Hi, Shah, how's tricks?"

And Sis, I knew, was going into the jaws of death.

No comments: