Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Family Business, 6. In the Hands of the Peroxide Peril!

I looked down the barrel of the pistol and gave the gunman a cute smile.
"Hi there. Your pal's hurting my sister."
"That's nothing compared to what I'm going to do to you, girlie"
He lowered the pistol - but only until the barrel touched my navel. Nastier, I thought. A bullet there would kill me very slowly and painfully.
"You're not going to kill me, are you?"
I knew that a place like this would have guards, but I'd hoped they'd just send Scruff packing with a clip round the ear. Instead they'd held on to her and waited for me.
The gunman laughed.
"Don't be dumb! Without a silencer everyone in Hampstead will hear the shot!"
"What's going on?"
I recognised that voice. It was the Peroxide Peril.
But the man who held me turned his head. At once I turned my body away from the gun. I kicked the pistol aside and sent the man reeling with a punch to the jaw. He fell back, against the Peroxide Peril. I turned to run.
Then I saw Scruff. She was still in the hands of her captor, and he had a knife to her throat.
"Stay right where you are, girlie, or your little pal dies."
I stopped dead. The Peroxide Peril advanced on us.
"Scruff!" she exclaimed. Scruff's eyes widened.
"Mum! What are you doing here?"
"I think your friend in the grey suit knows that. Don't you?"
I nodded.
"You've been robbing your own stepdaughter. You were hiring a man to recapture her and beat up your other stepdaughter. You're a crook."
"I admit it, Girl in Grey. But you're not going to do anything about it. Take her to Hampstead Church Yard and deal with her - for good. The little snooper knows far too much."
"Mum! You don't mean... kill her?" Scruff sounded scared. The Peroxide Peril laughed.
"What else would I mean? Scruff, you don't know me. But you will. We're going to get much better acquainted. And you're going to get smartened up."
"I..."
"You're going to get married, Lilian. To the son of a friend of mine."
"I don't want to... Anyhow I'm too young..."
"You're sixteen. You can get married if I give my permission."
I struggled in the hands of my captor, long legs kicking.
"Take her away!"
"This time," the gunman said with an evil grin, "I'll use a silencer!"

No comments: