Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Revenge of the Spanish Prisoner. 8, Plunge of Peril.

I fell forward, into the dark and yawning chasm before me. I screamed, and I heard the Akenbola brothers laughing like a couple of drains behind me.
But the scream had been for their benefit. Knowing that every crook who ever captured me would take my belt, I had other gadgets secreted about my person.
You may have noticed from my self-portrait that my costume has a tail. There's a reason for it!
As I fell I reached round to my costume's tail and quickly pulled a spare bullwhip from it. Desperately I wielded the whip, and I felt its thong take hold!
The whip became taut. The jerk nearly pulled the whip from my grasp and my arms from my shoulders - but only nearly. I braced myself and winced in pain as my small body slammed against the side of the chasm.
And there I hung in the darkness, in shadow, invisible against the wall of the chasm. Up above I could see the figures of the Akenbola brothers and their goons on the bridge, in the moonlight.
"She's gone," I heard O. Bucky say. That was wonderful - he's always been the leader, and if he thought I was dead the others would too.
I watched them go, and then I began my climb to safety.
It wasn't pleasant. Viñacos is built on the gypsum plateau, and the sides of the chasm were pure gypsum, tough, shiny crystals. The whip helped, of course, and at last I was on the bridge.
I ran from house to house along the main street of the ruined village. Then, seeing a projecting beam, I spotted a better way.
With a crack of my whip and a jump I was on the rooftops of Viñacos, away from prying eyes. I ran, glad that the roofs were able to support my meagre weight.
I was nearly at the Akenbola headquarters when I heard a van starting up. I ran faster, and then, as I saw the van below me, I jumped.
I landed safe on top of it, just as it moved off. It was one of those with an entirely separate front cab, just the sort I liked.
"What's that?" I heard someone call.
"Something landed on top of the van!"
I reached down the wrenched open the front passenger door, then pulled out the man sitting there. Just a goon, he was thrown into a stand of prickly pear. Painful, but nothing else.
Then I pulled open the driver's door `and yanked him out before slipping in there myself.
Now I was in the driving seat!
I picked up the driver's mobile 'phone and called the Hacienda.
"Manuel, have the staff all ready and armed. I'm bringing in the Spanish Prisoner. And call the cops and tell then that some bandits have been using Viñacos!"
I sat back with a smile as I drove down the mountain, towards the main road.
The Akenbola brothers were not happy when they arrived at my hacienda. O. Bucky tried to tear me apart with his bionic arms, but they just fell off again.
We turned their men, a bunch of bandits, over to the police. As for the brothers... well, now there are TWO Spanish Prisoners in my castle dungeon, and all their outgoing mail is censored.
And J. Bucky has to act as arms for his brother.

THE END

of 'REVENGE OF THE SPANISH PRISONER'

But

The Girl in Grey will return!

No comments: