Wednesday, October 25, 2006

The Outsider Test, 6. The Outsider strikes!


The Outsider's sinister laugh echoed through the ballroom. The sounds of revelry stopped, and the partygoers stared at the spectral figure in the balcony. I quickly snatched my whip from Scruff's belt.
"What is it?" she called.
"The Outsider." I moved quickly towards Barnard. Scruff followed me, despite my orders. Teenage sisters...
Barnard stared up at the gallery. The Outsider stood there, motionless apart from the slow swirling of her semi-transparent form.
"What's going on?" he demanded.
"Justice!"
Suddenly the Outsider moved. She shot forward into space, a cloak billowing out behind her. There were gasps of astonishment and cries of fear.
I just wanted to get between her and Barnard. If there was another, scarier female crime-fighter cutting in on my territory, I wanted to teach her she couldn't ignore me.
The Outsider landed on the dance-floor. She seemed to glide forward, towards Barnard. Quickly I stepped in between them.
"Stop!"
"Who are you?" the Outsider demanded, menace in her voice.
"They call me the Girl in Grey. I agree Barnard's a crook, but..."
"You're wearing pink."
"It's a fancy-dress party. You're supposed to dress up. Are you going to kill him?"
"Of course. Vengeance does not sleep, Girl in Grey. We are on the same side."
"You can't kill him here!" Scruff objected. "What about the dance floor? Blood would ruin it!"
"And you are?" The Outsider asked her. I shot Scruff a warning look.
"I'm Catwoman! Honestly, Sis, no-one knows what this costume is!"
"I think she meant your REAL identity," I pointed out.
"Oh. I'm not telling!"
"She's my assistant," I said.
Barnard suddenly turned and ran for the door. The Outsider moved, and Barnard fell with a cry of pain, a crossbow bolt sticking out of his right leg.
"And now, Jason Barnard, justice will be served."
The Outsider pushed me to one side. I was surprised at her strength, and I went sprawling on the dance floor.
"Hey!"
The Outsider pushed Scruff aside just as easily. With Scruff's costume that meant she ended up with her skirt somewhere around her thighs.
"And now, Jason Barnard..."
The Outsider struck. Barnard's head was severed from his body, and the Outsider flitted towards the door.
I scrambled to my feet and ran after her.
This time I was going to get an answer.

No comments: