Thursday, October 26, 2006

The Outsider Test, 7. Meeting the Outsider!

I ran after the Outsider, through the kitchens, headed for the rear exit. She was fast, but for once I was chasing someone smaller than I am, and I was gaining slowly. She threw open a door and ran through. I followed. I found myself in a dark, rather spooky alley behind the building.
Then I saw the Outsider's glowing red eyes. She was standing still now, and I ran up to her, whip in hand.
She was still just a swirling, indistinct shape, a little under five feet tall.
"I served justice on him," the Outsider told me, her voice definite. I saw a movement in her swirling shape.
"Outsider, if you're really serving justice, we're on the same side."
"If you are the Girl in Grey, I agree with you," the Outsider replied. "But right now I have a crossbow pointed at your heart."
She was one suspicious girl, I told myself. Did she have a good reason to be?
What was more, from the way she spoke, it sounded like she was pretty normal in some respects - a word I don't use lightly when I'm talking about a four foot ten column of shifting smoke with glowing red eyes who carried an arsenal containing at least a crossbow and a sword.
"I don't want to hurt you," I reassured her.
She seemed to be into dealing with blackmailers. I wondered why. Had some blackmailer harmed her or her family in the past? I liked the idea, but we were hardly past the introductions stage.
"Will we meet again?" I asked.
"We will. For now, I must go!"
The smoke swirled, and it seemed to disperse. Then she was gone, vanished into thin air.
"Sis!" Scruff ran out to join me. I shook my head.
"She's gone, vanished like she was never there to begin with."
"What is she?
"The Outsider. But... I get the feeling that, inside that swirling black cloud of smoke, there's a girl..."
Suddenly a child's laugh broke in on us. I felt something move past me. Could it be the Outsider, invisible?
"What?!" Scruff exclaimed.
"The Outsider. She's gone. But I have a feeling we'll meet again."
Next time, I thought, I was going to be ready for her.
Then I heard a scream. At once I dashed out into the street.
I saw four men in suits and hats, faces concealed by the collars of their raincoats.
And they were struggling with the Outsider!

No comments: