Tuesday, October 17, 2006

The Outsider Test, 2. The Outsider Strikes!


I stared in amazement at the spectral figure that stood there. I realised the childish voice was coming from it. This was something outside even MY experience!
"What are you?" Lamont asked, quaking in his boots.
Again that erries child's laugh echoed through the room.
"Here comes a candle to light you to bed," the thing chanted. "And here comes a chopper to... chop... off... your... head."
"What is it?" Felicity screamed hysterically.
"It looks - and sounds - like a ghost!" Lamont was trying to stay calm. In my opinion he wasn't succeeding. Actually I was having trouble keeping calm too. The glowing red eyes the ghost had were hardly calculated to calm a girl down.
"I'm the Outsider," the ghost laughed. "And you're a criminal, Lambert Lamont. It's my duty to show you that crime doesn't pay."
"You..."
"London Bridge is falling down, falling down..." the Outsider began to chant another nursery rhyme. As a scare tactic it seemed to work wonderfully. Both Lamont and Felicity were scared stiff, and I wasn't exactly calm either.
"Make it go away!" Felicity pleaded. "Make it go away!"
"Felicity Crewe, go!"
Felicity fled in stark terror. I remained to watch.
It seemed someone else had got to Lambert Lamont first, and I could do nothing but watch from the window.
After all, I was going to visit vengeance on him, and it seemed the Outsider had the same motive.
"What do you want with me?" Lamont demanded. The Outsider drifted across the floor to where he stood. I realised she (going by her voice) was only small. Smaller than I am. That fitted the child's voice.
"I want YOU." she said. Then she laughed again.
"Here comes a candle to light you to bed..."
"What?"
"And here comes a chopper to... chop... off... your... head."
The Outsider laughed. Then the lights went off again. All I could see were the glowing red eyes of the Outsider. Lamont screamed. Then his scream was suddenly silenced.
The red eyes vanished and I heard the door open. Quickly I threw up the sash and jumped in, pulling my torch from my belt and turning it on.
The Outsider was gone. But Lamont was still here. I only had to look at him to know he was dead.
After all, I don't know of anyone who can survive having their head separated from their body.

No comments: