Friday, October 13, 2006

Family Business, 9. Acton and Adventure

I turned to the door. The Peroxide Peril drew a gun from her handbag.
"Drop the whip. You may have outwitted my men, but you won't outwit me."
I looked down the barrel of the gun, and I knew she was willing to kill. I held on to the whip, sure that she would kill me anyhow.
Then I saw Scruff, forgotten by our Stepmother, move slowly and silently over the carpet towards her.
"You'll kill me anyhow," I said, playing for time. "Why should I surrender?"
"You'll have to die now, then! I was going to leave the country anyhow!"
Quickly I dodged as she fired. The bullet tore into the sideboard. The Peroxide Peril made to fire again, but Scruff bit her wrist and made her drop the gun.
Two men entered, one middle-aged and hard-bitten (I'm not sure by what, but probably by Scruff when he tried to hurt her), the other in his late teens.
"What...?" the older man began.
"Justice." I replied. "This woman has been robbing her stepdaughter, and she intended to force her into marriage with your son."
"I don't want to marry her," the young man mumbled. "She's untidy and she can't cook."
"And you intended to force your son to marry her. Then she would find it impossible to escape. However, she came to me. I'm the Girl in Grey, and I'm going to make you pay for your crimes. Especially," I turned to the Peroxide Peril, "your crime of murder."
She gasped. I laughed.
"I know, you murderer. You killed your own husband for his money. How it must have smarted when you found he had left it all to his daughters! But right now, you're coming with me."
Scruff helped me take them out to my car. We left the boy behind - he was as unwilling as Scruff.
I set the car's navigation system to take us to Acton. It was the only place that we could end this.

No comments: