Thursday, October 12, 2006

Family Business, 8. In the lair of the Peroxide Peril.

Leaving my would-be killers lying in a garden in Hampstead with broken legs, I ran back to my car. The Peroxide Peril had Scruff in her clutches and was going to force her into a marriage with the son of one of her criminal associates. I couldn't let that happen.
I reached the car quickly and jumped in. A turn of the key and my car's considerable computer equipment was activated.
I hoped that the Peroxide Peril would be heading back to her home, because I knew where that was.
I didn't need the navigation system to find my way there, I know that route. It didn't take long either.
And the beautiful part of it was that everyone thought I was dead. They wouldn't be expecting me at all.
I drew up a little way from the house and slipped out of my car. Keeping to the shadows my slight form was invisible in my grey suit.
I heard shouting. The Peroxide Peril!
"YOU are going to marry him! If you don't I'll kill you AND that snooping sister of yours. Stop snivelling!"
So Scruff was there. And she thought I was dead. Well, I'd reassure her in a moment.
I slipped down the side alley and jumped over the wall into the back garden, whip at the ready.
There was no-one there. Apparently the report of my death had lulled her into a false state of security.
I ran silently across the lawn to the French windows. Looking in I saw Scruff, looking very upset, while the Peroxide Peril berated her.
"You're useless! All I ever got from you..."
"You stole my money!"
"Nearly all of it. You..."
I saw her raise her hand to strike, and I acted quickly. I picked up a garden chair and threw it though the glass.
The Peroxide Peril turned. I saw her hand reach for a gun, and one crack of the whip disarmed her.
"Now, how about you tell the police what you just told Scruff?" I said with a smile.
"How...?"
"Oh, I had a little help. Your men leaped before they looked and I'm afraid they won't be doing much for a while."
"You..."
"Language. You're through."
Suddenly I heard the front door open.
"In here!" the Peroxide Peril called.
I prepared to fight.

No comments: