Monday, October 30, 2006

The Outsider Test, 10. Sidekicks to the Rescue


I had time to take a shower and change into more comfortable clothes before Ms. Madison arrived. She was perfectly dressed, as always. Some people think we look funny together, the world’s scruffiest teenager and the world’s best-dressed secretary. I just like Ms. Madison. Especially the way she gets annoyed at Sis.
“Scruff, the Green man is NOT your sister's boyfriend," she said sternly to me. I smiled.
"Sorry, I thought he was. You know, he IS the only man she ever dates, It was kind of natural."
Ms. Madison rolled her eyes.
"Scruff! That's... Scruff, you look worried.”
“I am.”
I showed her in. She looked at me and shook her head.
“Scruff, what are we going to do with you? You have to be the most untidy girl I know. And... what did you do to your arm?” she looked significantly at the bandage on my right arm.
“Accident." I wasn't about to discuss how I got injuries with Ms. Madison. Sis can be bad enough. "Look, some men have captured Sis. I got the number of their car, but I don’t know how to get into the police database.”
“Easy,” Ms. Madison sat down in the computer chair and began to work. In seconds we were inside the police database.
"How do you do that?" I asked in admiration.
"I'll tell you later. Where's that number?"
I handed her the car's registration and she typed it in. At once a record came up.
"Former ambulance, now registered to a Mr. Gordon Grant of Whitechapel." That was good news.
"Great! Did you bring your car?"
"Of course. I don't travel by public transport at this time of night. Look, do you want me to go to Whitechapel and mount a rescue?"
I shook my head.
"Lynette, I want US to go to Whitechapel and mount a rescue. I'm not just some untidy teenager whose only use is to chaperone her sister!"
"Okay, Scruff," Ms. Madison laughed. "I'm sorry, I should have been more considerate. Come on then."
We ran out into the night - and I remembered to lock the door.
Ms. Madison has a beautiful car. I felt like royalty or something as I leaned back in the expensive seat.
"You must be paid well," I said.
"Danger money. How about you? Your Dad was a millionaire."
"He left all his money to his two daughters, but my wicked stepmother stole most of my inheritance. So I live with Sis now. I'm really very cheap."
"Poor Scruff!"
We sped through the London night towards Whitechapel. I don't mind saying I was glad I wasn't alone. It's just not the sort of place I like to go on my own after dark. Like most of London, especially at the week-end.
At last Ms. Madison parked the car in a dingy alleyway and we got out. Even in the warm night I shivered. There was rubbish on the ground and graffitti on the walls. It looked kind of run down.
These days Whitechapel is a mainly Muslim area, so all we saw in the way of people were a number of local young men. They didn't look terribly religious, and I'm sure one of them gave Ms. Madison a lustful look - but they ignored me. And why not? She's a lot better looking.
"Follow me," Ms. Madison said. I followed. I wasn't too sure wherewe were going, but I knew Ms. Madison did.
"And what do we have here?"
Hearing the voice behind us, we turned to see a man pointing a revolver.

No comments: