Monday, October 30, 2006

The Outsider Test, 9. Scruff Takes a Hand

(You people out there know me from my sister’s blogging, but after I asked her (for several days) and pointed out she couldn’t tell what I did so well as me, she let me write this:)

I stood in the alleyway, watching what happened to Sis and to the Outsider. I’m not much good in a fight, so I decided I’d just get in the way if I tried to help like that. I was forced to watch helplessly as a gun was produced, and Sis was knocked out. She was loaded into the back of an old ambulance, along with the Outsider, and I had just enough time to write down the numberplate before the vehicle drove off.
One of the really rotten things about being sixteen is you’re not allowed to drive a car. We’d come to the party in Sis’s pink car, but I can’t drive it, so I had to take the tube home. In my Catwoman costume. I hated it. Smart-alec comments were being handed around like, ‘is she real?’ (No, I’m an illusion. Honestly! Don’t these people think I have ears?). I think jumping on the train might have made them wonder, but still, even I have feelings. Just because I don’t care how I look doesn’t mean I don’t care how people look at me.
I got home feeling rather unhappy. Unfortunately I haven’t been able to break into the police car registration database yet, so I couldn’t use the information I had. I pulled off the Catwoman cowl, took off my boots, and sighed.
“Meow?” Samantha looked up at me. I smiled.
“Yeah. Sis got captured...”
Then I had a thought. I picked up the ‘phone and dialled one of the numbers in the memory.
The ‘phone rang on the other end. I hoped someone was in. Then the telephone was picked up.
“Hello, Ms. Madison...”
“Hi! It’s Scruff!”
“Does your sister want to date the Green Man again?” Ms. Madison asked suspiciously. That's the trouble with calling your sister's boyfriend's secretary.
“No! She’s been captured, and I kind of need help to find her. Could you please come over here?”
“Scruff! You’re worried!”
“I am,” I confessed. “She’s the only family I’ve got left! I can’t lose her too!”
“You’re right, Scruff. I’ll be over as soon as I’ve done my hair.”
I thought of several things to say to her, but I decided not to say any of them. I guess it’s her business what she looks like.
I just hoped she could help me find Sis.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Green Man is NOT your sister's 'botfriend', scruff!

But I'll help, pal.

Anonymous said...

should be 'boyfriend,' sorry.

Anonymous said...

Ow! I'm sorry, I thought he was.