Tuesday, October 31, 2006

The Outsider Test, 11. Shopping for surprise!

(Scruff continues)

"Okay," the man said threateningly, "Give it to me, now."
I smiled.
"Give what? I don't have any money, or even my mobile 'phone."
He turned on me threateningly. Ms. Madison quickly kicked him in the groin and disarmed him. The robber fled, robbed of his courage.
"I suppose this must be rather a rough area," she reflected. "Come on."
We were looking for the address where the old ambulance that had been used to snatch the Outsider and Sis was registered. According to the police computer it was somewhere around here. We'd parked a little way away so as not to look suspicious (but I think Ms. Madison's outfit looked that, especially the hat) and we made our way towards the building on foot.
I'm a North London girl. While Dad's factory was in Acton, we lived out in the leafy suburbs in the Muswell Hill area. I don't think I've been to Whitechapel more than twice in my life, and one of them was to go to a church service. While Ms. Madison was cool and collected, as she usually is, I was a little scared. This felt like the sort of place where crimes were committed. Nasty crimes. After all, Jack the Ripper had done his crimes in Whitechapel.
That was one reason I'd gone with Lynnette. I didn't want her to be murdered, and two girls together are a lot less vulnerable.
We emerged from the dark alley into a dark street. It looked the sort of place where low criminals hang out, and where muggings happen. I was okay - I didn't have anything worth stealing - but Ms. Madison looked a prime target.
But there, parked in plain sight, was the ambulance.
"That it, Scruff?"
"It is."
"And that shop is the address."
It was one of those all night places that rents DVDs and computer games out. My clothes would look fine in there, but I have a slight public school accent, and Ms. Madison sounds and looks REALLY posh.
"What do we do?" I asked. Usually I stay at home during all this adventure stuff.
"We go in and ask a few questions."
Before I could stop her, Ms. Madison had gone inside. I hurried after her.
"Good evening," she greeted the disreputable-looking man behind the counter.
"What do you want?"
"Oh, I just saw that old ambulance parked outside. It's beautiful. Is it for sale?"
"No. It belongs to the owner, Mr. Ghul."
"Really? Do you think he'd be willing to sell?"
"No, madam, I am not willing to sell."
Mr. Ghul had emerged from the back of the shop. If the man at the counter looked disreputable, his boss looked anything but. He was tall and handsome, hair swept back. He wore one of those high-collared jackets some Indian gentlemen wear, and a long black cloak worked with rich embroidery. His accent was even more public-school than Ms. Madison's.
"You're not? But I'm willing to buy."
"Ah, then one of us is willing, but our wills do not concur. It was most unwise for you to come here, Ms. Madison. MOST unwise."
"I don't think so." she drew the gun she had taken from the robber. Mr. Ghul shook his head.
"You do not know who I am. That gun is useless against me."
Suddenly an unseen force tore the gun from Ms. Madison's hand and pinned both of us to the wall.
"As I said," Mr. Ghul said as the force crushed us against the wall, "most unwise."

No comments: