Monday, October 02, 2006

Revenge of the Spanish Prisoner. 6, Village of Villainy

I rode out of town into the moonlit night. Almeria's kind of romantic by moonlight. In the daytime it's... well, it's hot, and my favourite time of day is siesta. For one thing, it gives me plenty of opportunities to get out at night (and to dream about the Green Man).
With the sound of guitars in my ears, I rode out, onto the plateau, and towards Viñacos.
It was a pleasant enough journey, down what was left of the dirt road that used to connect Viñacos to town. I just wished the Green Man was with me - that would have made it perfect. Just us, in the moonlight.
Dreaming like that somehow shortened my journey rather considerably, and soon I was high on the cliff overlooking Viñacos.
It must have been a pretty little village. It still was really, but kind of sad too, all derelict and deserted. Some houses were roofless and some had partially collapsed. It had a main street and a couple of small lanes, and was split in two be a huge chasm, over which was a bridge.
"Stay here," I told my horse. "I'll be back for you."
I slid out of the saddle and began to make my way down the cliff, towards the village. My grey costume blended perfectly with the rock.
I slid down behind a huge stand of esparto grass and stayed there a while, listening. Someone, close at hand, was playing rap music. After the guitars in town I thought it was quite a come-down.
I crossed the street quickly, then stood stock-still, looking and listening, back to the wall.
"Theñor Akenbola! Theñor Akenbola!"
I heard the voice and smiled. Local hired hand. The man's accent was so thick you could use it for insulation. I remember the first time I went to Almeria I couldn't understand a word the locals said. Kind of like going to Glasgow, really.
"Yeah, what is it?"
That was O. Bucky.
"The weapon it is very dangerous."
"Sure, well I know that. That's why we want it, you idiot."
"Who you call idiote, Theñor? I Do not have arm that fall off."
I stifled a giggle.
"Yeah? Well because of that arm the Girl in Grey is coming here - right into my little trap. And then, when she's been disposed of, we'll get the weapon, and Spain will be at my mercy!"
That, I thought, sounded important. Suddenly I heard someone cock a revolver behind me.
"Turn around real slow and keep rour hands above your head," J. Bucky Akenbola said menacingly.

3 comments:

Zack said...

Rap. tut tut. They have come down in the world. Even the hat dancing act was better than that. Which reminds me, no doubt you'll lose your hat to these two villains-- J. Bucky stomped on more things than his brothers foot and I fear the crown of many a Mexican hat has suffered under his crushing pod.

Zack said...

O. Bucky that is: he did all the stomping.

The Girl in Grey said...

Yes, it's the demoralising effects of crime. Fortunately they didn't squas my wonderful hat - although it suffered a bit.